City of Troy

500 West Big Beaver
Troy, MI 48084
Ph: 248.524.3300

How Do I? (FAQ)


Assessing Page
What data related to property is available through the Assessor's office?
Owner's name, mailing address, square feet of building, year building was built, legal description of property, current sale information, and list of businesses located within the City.
Where do I file Property Transfer Affidavit and Homestead Affidavit?
These are filed in the Assessor's Office on the second floor of City Hall or they can be found online through a link on the Assessing Department's homepage.


What cable companies service the City of Troy?
Where do I find Troy's government access channel?
WTRY can be found on WideOpenWest channel 10, on Comcast channel 17, and channel 99 on AT&T.

City Attorney

City Attorney Page
How do I find a private attorney?
Contact the Oakland County Bar Association at 248.338.2100 or 248.398.3937. They will refer you to an attorney who specializes in the area of law you need.

How do I obtain a personal protection order?
Take documentation of prior assaults or threats (police reports, medical records, etc.) to the Oakland County Family Court. Personnel from the Women's Survival Center will be available at the Court to assist in filling out the necessary paperwork. You will then meet with a Court referee. If enough proof is presented, then the Court will issue a Personal Protection Order. If you prefer, you may hire a private attorney who will assist you in preparing and presenting the proper court papers.

Where can I obtain more information about other social service agencies?
"Troy People Concerned" is an organization that will provide the phone numbers of numerous agencies within the Troy area that can assist with everything from alcohol and drug abuse, to legal help, to suicide prevention. The telephone number for "Troy People Concerned" is 248.528.9199.

Who should I contact regarding general consumer complaints?
An excellent resource is the Michigan Attorney General's Consumer Protection Division in Lansing. They can be reached at 517.373.1140.

Can the City Attorney's Office give me advice on Landlord/Tenant Issues, Wills and Estates or Senior's Rights?
The City Attorney's Office cannot give personal advice to residents, however, we do have free pamphlets and brochures that will assist residents in areas such as evictions, rental leases, advance directives, do not resuscitate directives and other important issues. You can stop by the City Attorney's Office to obtain a free copy of the booklets you need.

City Clerk's Office

City Clerk's Page
What are the City's business hours?
8 am - 4:30 pm, Monday - Friday

How do I obtain my child's birth certificate?
Certified copies of Birth Certificates for children born in the City of Troy can be obtained at the City Clerk's Office with proper identification. The fee for a certified copy of a birth certificate is $15 for the first copy and $5 for each additional purchased at the same time.
Do I need to license my business with the City?
The City of Troy does not have a general business licensing requirement. For more information, contact the City Clerk's Office.
Does the City license animals?
Dogs are licensed through Oakland County Animal Control. Cats are not licensed. All other animals require a specific permit application from the Housing and Zoning Inspector.
Where do I register to Vote?
The City Clerk's Office at Troy City Hall, or any Secretary of State Office.
How to I get an Absentee Voter Ballot?
Applications are available in the City Clerk's Office or online through a link on the City Clerk's Department page.
Are Door to Door Solicitors Licensed?
Yes, by the City Clerk's Office.
Who are my elected officials Federal, State, County?


President Donald Trump, 1600 Pennsylvania Ave., Washington, DC 20500 202.456.1414
Senator Debbie Stabenow, Detroit Office: 243 W. Congress Suite 550, Detroit, MI 48226 313.961.4330
Senator Gary Peters, Rochester Office: 407 6th Street Suite C, Rochester, MI 48307 248.608.8040
Representative Haley Stevens, 11th District, Novi Office: 43155 Main Street Ste. 2300B, Novi, MI 48375 202.225.8171


State Capitol Building, 100 N. Capitol Ave., Lansing 48909 517.335.7858
Governor Gretchen Whitmer, PO Box 30013, Lansing, MI 48909 517.373.3400
Senator Mallory McMorrow, 13th District, PO Box 30036, Lansing, MI 48909-7536 517.373.2523
Representative Padma Kuppa, 41st District, PO Box 30014, Lansing, MI 48909 517.373.1783


Oakland County Board Of Commissioners, 1200 N. Telegraph, Pontiac, MI 48341  248.858.0100
     Thomas Kuhn, District 11
     Penny Luebs, District 16
     Gary McGillivray, District 20



How do I purchase a burial space in a City-owned cemetery?
Burial spaces at Crooks Road Cemetery may be purchased at the City Clerk's Office during regular business hours - 8:00 AM-4:30 PM, Monday through Friday.  The cost for each burial space is $525.00.  Additional costs for burial space opening/closing and perpetual care fees are paid at the time of burial.

City Council

City Council Page
What is the council-manager form of government, which is used in so many cities, towns, and counties?
The council-manager form is the system of local government that combines the strong political leadership of elected officials in the form of a governing body, with the strong managerial experience of an appointed local government manager. The governing body in Troy is the City Council. In other municipalities it may also be referred to as the commission or the board. The council-manager form establishes a representative system where all power is concentrated in the elected council and where the council hires a professionally trained manager to oversee the delivery of public services.
Is it a responsive form of government?
In council-manager government, the mayor or chairperson of the governing body and council members are the leaders and policy makers elected to represent the community and to concentrate on policy issues that are responsive to citizens' needs and wishes. The manager is appointed by the governing body to carry out policy and ensure that the entire community is being served. If the manager is not responsive to the governing body's wishes, the governing body has the authority to terminate the manager at any time. In that sense, a manager's responsiveness is tested daily.
What is the council's function?
The council is the legislative body; its members are the community's decision makers. Power is centralized in the elected council, which approves the budget and determines the tax rate, for example. The council also focuses on the community's goals, major projects, and such long-term considerations as community growth, land use development, capital improvement plans, capital financing, and strategic planning. The council hires a professional manager to carry out the administrative responsibilities and supervises the manager's performance.
Do the Mayor and City Council have offices in City Hall?
No, they are part-time elected officials. Their numbers can be found on the City Council page.
Where does the mayor of the governing body fit in?
Mayors or chairpersons in council-manager communities are key political leaders and policy developers and their duties, responsibilities, and authorities depend on the organization's charter. In council-manager communities, typically the mayor or chairperson presides at council meetings, serves as a spokesperson for the community, facilitates communication and understanding between elected and appointed officials, assists the council in setting goals and advocating policy decisions, and serves as a promoter and defender of the community. In addition, the mayor serves as a key representative in intergovernmental relations. The mayor, council, and manager constitute a policy-development and management team.
How many Americans live in communities that operate under council-manager government?
More than 89 million.
What is the history of the council-manager form?

Born out of the progressive reform movement at the beginning of the 20th century, the council-manager system of local government is one of the few original American contributions to political theory. In 1908, Staunton, Virginia, instituted the first position legally defining, by ordinance, the broad authority and responsibility associated with today's professional local government manager. Sumter, South Carolina, was the first city to adopt a charter incorporating the basic principles of council-manager government in 1912. Westmount, Quebec, introduced the form to Canada in 1913. The first large city to adopt the plan was Dayton, Ohio, in 1914. The first counties to adopt it in the l930s were Arlington County, Virginia, and Durham County and Robeson County, North Carolina. Since its establishment, the council-manager form has become the most popular form of government in the United States in communities with populations of 5,000 or greater. The form also is popular in Canada, Australia, the Netherlands, New Zealand, the United Kingdom, Honduras, Chile, and Brazil. For more than 94 years, council-manager government has responded to the changing needs of citizens and their communities.

City Manager

What is the council-manager form of government, which is used in so many cities, towns, and counties?

The council-manager form is the system of local government that combines the strong political leadership of elected officials in the form of a governing body, with the strong managerial experience of an appointed local government manager. The governing body in Troy is the City Council. In other municipalities it may also be referred to as the commission or the board. The council-manager form establishes a representative system where all power is concentrated in the elected council and where the council hires a professionally trained manager to oversee the delivery of public services.

What is the manager's function?

The manager is hired to serve the council and the community and to bring to the local government the benefits of training and experience in administering local government projects and programs on behalf of the governing body. The manager prepares a budget for the council's consideration; recruits, hires, and supervises the government's staff; serves as the council's chief adviser; and carries out the council's policies. Council members and citizens count on the manager to provide complete and objective information, the pros and cons of alternatives, and long-term consequences.

Does the manager participate in policy determination?

The manager makes policy recommendations to the council, but the council may or may not adopt them and may modify the recommendations. The manager is bound by whatever action the council takes.

What is the cost to the local government of appointing a professional manager?

Local governments have found that overall costs actually have been reduced with competent management. Savings come in the form of reduced operating costs, increased efficiency and productivity, improved revenue collection, or effective use of technology.

How many Americans live in communities that operate under council-manager government?

More than 89 million.

How much citizen participation is possible under council-manager government?

Successful examples of citizen participation in the local government service delivery decision-making process are widespread among professionally managed communities. Because professional local government management offers government of the people, by the people, and for the people, it sets the stage for citizen activism by encouraging open communication between citizens and their government. Examples range from visioning, in which citizens play a major role in determining the future of their community, to neighborhood service delivery, which involves residents through the development of citizen/government partnerships, to community-oriented local government services. Because political power is concentrated in the entire governing body rather than one elected official, more citizens have an opportunity to be elected to a position in which they have significant influence over the future of their community.

Where do managers get their experience?

Nearly 73 percent of managers surveyed by ICMA have a master's or a professional degree. Respondents indicated that they had spent an average of 17 years in the local government management profession.

Code Enforcement

Code Enforcement
Animal Licenses
Citizen Code Volunteers
Common Codes Enforced
Report a Violation
Sign Permits
Zoning and Temporary Uses
Temporary Signs
Temporary signs, including but limited to garage/estate sales, elections, and business promotions are allowed on private property subject to certain regulations.  You can view the restrictions here. Signs that are placed in the public right-of-way (City property) will be removed by the City. Please check the regulations before displaying your sign.

Golf Division

Where are your courses located?

Sylvan Glen is located at 5725 Rochester Road, ? mile south of Square Lake Road. From I-75, take the Rochester Road exit, go north 2 ? miles, course will be on the west side of the road. Call 248.619.7600 for further information.

Sanctuary Lake is located at 1450 East South Boulevard, between Dequindre and John R Roads. From M53 take the Dequindre exit and turn left; make a right at the first light at South Boulevard, course will be ? mile on the south side of street. Call 248.619.7600 for further information.

Can I play even though I am not a Resident of Troy?

Yes, Sylvan Glen and Sanctuary Lake are available to everyone. There is no restriction on when non-residents can play. We do offer a discount on greens fees for residents of the City of Troy.

Sanctuary Lake and Sylvan Glen Rates

How far in advance can I book a tee time?
Tee times can be booked 10 days in advance by phone or online. We allow only two times per person. For any groups larger than eight players please see our outing and special event page.

How do I book an outing?

Outings can be booked up to one year in advance. For Sylvan Glen please contact 248.619.7669 and for Sanctuary Lake please contact 248.619.7673.

Sanctuary Lake and Sylvan Glen Outings

Can I get my league to play at a City of Troy course?

Sylvan Glen is currently filled with leagues but we are always taking interested leagues and adding them to our wait list. For more information contact 248.619.7669. Sanctuary Lake is currently accepting leagues. For more information contact 248.619.7673.

What are your rates?

We offer two rate structures, one for residents of Troy and one for non-residents. Please see our rate pages for more information.

Do you offer senior rates?

Yes, we offer senior rates for individuals over the age of 62. We offer senior rates for residents and non-residents.

Do you have a handicap cart?
Yes, we have a handicap cart available at both golf courses.

Do you have a practice facility?

Yes, we have a practice facility at Sanctuary Lake. The practice facility consists of a 70- station driving range, a putting green, and a short game green featuring a bunker. Sylvan Glen has a practice putting green.

Practice Facility

Do you offer lessons?
Yes, we have an academy at Sanctuary Lake offering a variety of individual and group lessons for all ages.

Do you offer food concessions?
Yes, Camp Ticonderoga at Sylvan Glen and Pipers's Pub at Sanctuary Lake.

Do you sell merchandise in your pro shop?
Yes, both Sylvan Glen and Sanctuary Lake offer a full line of merchandise for all golfing needs.

Can I bring alcohol out on to the course?
Alcohol is available to go out on the course at both Camp Ticonderoga at Sylvan Glen and Piper's Pub at Sanctuary Lake. Players cannot bring alcohol from offsite onto the courses.

Can I play alone?
We do allow players to go out on the course as singles if the tee sheet allows availability. The course does reserve the right to pair all players up to allow as many players the availability to play as possible.

Can my group play as a five-some?
No, we do not allow five-somes out on the courses at anytime.

Can I have someone just ride with me during my round?
Yes, but anyone on the course must pay a greens fee to be out on the course, and that person counts as a member of the group.

Historic Village

Historic Village Website

Human Resources

Human Resources Page
What types of jobs are available at the City of Troy?
Current job postings are posted online.  We hire for full-time, part-time and seasonal/temporary positions to work at several city facilities including City Hall, Department of Public Works, Police Department, Troy Public Library, and Troy Community Center. Positions include professional, management, law enforcement, technical, clerical, labor, and customer service.

Where are jobs posted?
Current job opportunities are posted on our website, and on bulletin boards in Troy City Hall, the Troy Public Library, and the Troy Community Center.

How do I apply for a job?
Applications are accepted only for those jobs which are currently posted. You may download an application online, apply in person at the Human Resources Department (or Community Center for seasonal recreation positions only), or request an application by mail or by phone (248.680.7296).

Will you e-mail me when new job opportunities are available?
Yes. Anyone with an email address can subscribe to the job announcement email subscription service. We will send an email to everyone on the subscription list every time a job opportunity is posted on the website.

Do you have to live in Troy to work for the City of Troy?

What are the requirements to be a City of Troy Police Officer?

When we recruited for Police Officer in 2016, the minimum qualifications were as follows (these are subject to change for future recruiting efforts)

Must meet one of the following MCOLES standards:

  • Currently certified
  • Considered “Certifiable”
  • Currently enrolled in a MCOLES certified Police Academy or Police Certification Program with a projected graduation date within 180 days of application deadline and provide proof of same.
  • Any applicant who fails to comply with these requirements shall become ineligible (certification must be maintained throughout the term of the eligibility). 

AND must:

Be at least 21 years of age as of date of filing official application.

Have vision correctable to 20/20 with no major defects; normal color vision; normal hearing.

Be able to pass any physical agility test required to determine physical fitness for the performance of duties of position to be filled. Must possess valid proof of passing the MCOLES physical fitness pre-enrollment test at time of hire.

Possess 12th grade reading and writing proficiency as measured on the College English Placement Test or an exam similar in content.

Posses a Bachelor Degree or Associate Degree in any field, or a minimum of 60 semester credit hours from an accredited college or university. Recent satisfactory sworn Police Officer experience (within five years prior to closing date of announcement) may be substituted for years of college on a year-to-year basis. One (1) year recent satisfactory experience as a Police Service Aide City of Troy Police Department employee may be substituted for up to 1 year of college (30 credit hours). Experience in military police, private security, campus security, and/or reserves will not be considered. 

Have no prior felony convictions.

Possess a valid Michigan Driver License with good driving record (based on City of Troy standards). Out-of-state applicants must provide current driving record at time of application and obtain State of Michigan license within one (1) month of employment.

Have taken and passed the MCOLES Pre-employment Test (reading and writing test).


How do I get certified to become a Police Officer?
You can receive information regarding MCOLES (Michigan Commission on Law Enforcement Standards) certification by visiting www.michigan.gov/mcoles or calling 517.322.1417.


Library Website
What are the Library hours?
Monday-Thursday: 10am-9pm, Saturday: 10am-5pm, Sunday: 1-5pm

Nature Center

Where is the Nature Center located?
The Nature Center is located in the City of Troy, Michigan, at 6685 Coolidge Highway. Map of Nature Center (MapQuest). We are about 3/4 of a mile north of Square Lake Road or about 1/4 of a mile south of South Boulevard. From I-75, take the Crooks Road exit, go north to Square Lake Road, turn west on Square Lake and go 1 mile to Coolidge Road. Turn north on Coolidge and travel until you see our sign. Call the Troy Nature Society at 248.688.9703.

What is at the Stage Nature Center?
Check out the Troy Nature Society website for more information.


Planning Page
What are the responsibilities of the Planning Department?

The Planning Department is responsible for implementing the Master Plan and administering the Zoning Ordinance, providing support and recommendations to the Planning Commission and City Council to assist each in making decisions regarding land uses and development proposals, providing support to the Zoning Board of Appeals, processing applications for new development and redevelopment within the City, and reviewing development plans to ensure compliance with City ordinances and assists citizens and developers to better understand the land use policies and regulations of the City.

What is the difference between a subdivision and site condominium?
Subdivision and site condominiums are both types of single family residential developments. The major difference between the two is the form of ownership. A site condominium contains separate units and shared limited common and general common areas. In a subdivision the lots are owned separately and the common areas are deeded to the City or a homeowners association. Site condominiums are sometimes preferred by developers because they typically involve quicker review and approval process than subdivision. Detailed explanation.

What is a rezoning?
A rezoning is an amendment to the current zoning map. It is also referred to as a zoning map amendment.

How do I determine what my property is zoned?
To determine what district you property is zoned you can use the Zoning Ordinance Interactive Map.

What is a Planned Unit Development?
A planned unit development (also known as a P.U.D.) is a development consisting of a combination of land uses in which the use and design is based upon a comprehensive physical plan meeting the requirements of this Ordinance. A P.U.D. is reviewed and approved through a negotiated public process involving the applicant and the city.

What is the difference between preliminary site plan approval and final site plan approval?
Preliminary site plan approval involves a review of the preliminary site plan application including basic design and layout. Preliminary site plan approval can be conducted administratively or by Planning Commission. Final site plan approval involves the review of engineered drawings that are approved administratively.

What is a special use request?
A special use request is a use that is permitted subject to Special Use Approval. Special uses are uses that may be appropriate in a particular zoning district, but have potential secondary effects (such as traffic or noise) that require additional consideration. For this reason, special uses must meet additional standards and require a Planning Commission public hearing prior to approval.

What is a Master Plan?
A master plan is a general statement of the City's goals and policies and provides a single, comprehensive view of the community's wishes for the future. Municipalities in Michigan are required by law to have a valid master plan. The City of Troy Master Plan was adopted on October 14, 2008, and amended in 2016. View the City of Troy Master Plan.
What is a public hearing? Why did I receive a public hearing notice?
A public hearing is held to uphold the requirement of due process as required by the zoning ordinance, so as to give invested parties the opportunity to participate in a public forum regarding a proposed project or Zoning Ordinance amendment. A public hearing notice is sent to make the receiver aware of the time and date of the public hearing, if they wish to attend. Projects requiring a public hearing include Special Use applications, Planned Unit Development applications, and rezonings. You received public hearing notice because you live within 300 feet of a proposed project or change.

What is the Planning Commission?
The City of Troy Planning Commission is comprised of nine Troy residents, who are appointed by the Mayor and approved by City Council. The fundamental responsibilities are the review of development proposals, creation and maintenance of the Master Plan, and maintenance of the Zoning Ordinance. The Planning Commission meets on the second and fourth Tuesday of every month at 7pm, with the exclusion of holidays. Minutes and agendas are available on the City's website under Boards and Commissions.
Does the city have tree protection?

Yes. The City of Troy encourages the preservation of trees and woodlands on undeveloped, underdeveloped, and developed land and provides for the protection, preservation, maintenance and use of trees and woodlands in order to minimize damage from erosion and siltation, loss of wildlife and vegetation, and/or from the destruction of the natural habitat.

What is an escrow fee?
An escrow fee is a refundable fee that is required for a development application in addition to the non-refundable application fee. The escrow fee is applied to any outside consultant utilized by the City to review a development application. Any leftover escrow fees are refunded back to the developer upon completion of the project.

What is the Zoning Board of Appeals?
The City of Troy Zoning Board of Appeals (also referred to as ZBA) consists of seven Troy residents, who are appointed by the Mayor and approved by City Council. The ZBA is a quasi-judicial body with the authority to hear and determine appeals of administrative decisions and use/non-use variance applications, and make interpretations of Zoning Ordinance provisions. The ZBA meets the third Tuesday of each month at 7:30 PM, with the exclusion of holidays. Minutes and agendas are available on the City's website under Boards and Committees.

What is a zoning ordinance?

A zoning ordinance specifies what types of uses zones allow (ex. Residential, Commercial, Industrial etc.) and may also regulate lot size, placement, bulk (or density) and the height of structures. Click to read the City of Troy’s zoning ordinance.

What is G.I.S.?
Geographic Information Systems (G.I.S.) is an interactive mapping program that allows the user to add informational layers and data to a map in order to analyze the property and its relationship with the surrounding areas. Visit Troy's G.I.S. system.

What is a form-based code?
A form-based code is a means of regulating development with enhanced control over physical form to achieve a predictable, planned outcome. The emphasis is placed on the development or building form in order to achieve a specific design outcome. This approach differs from typical zoning codes, which focus on regulating the use rather than the form.

What is a neighborhood node?
Neighborhood Nodes are the concentrated, commercial and mixed-use centers situated at major intersections of Troy thoroughfares that serve as the center of the City's Economic Neighborhoods. The Neighborhood Node concept is further explained in the Master Plan.

What is a Cluster Development?

The One-Family Cluster Development, sometimes referred to simply as “Cluster Development”, is a development option that is an alternative to a traditional one-family detached home subdivision layout. The One-Family Cluster option allows for condensed lot sizes and smaller homes that are more closely grouped so that the remaining land on the site can be preserved as open space. The One-Family Cluster Development Option is authorized by Section 10.04 of the City of Troy’s Zoning Ordinance, and is intended to:

  • Assure the permanent preservation of open space and other natural features.
  • Allow innovation and greater flexibility in the design of residential developments.
  • Facilitate the construction and maintenance of streets, utilities, and public services in a more economical and efficient manner.
  • Ensure compatibility of design and use between neighboring properties.
  • Encourage a less sprawling form of development that improves the walkability and pedestrian friendliness of the neighborhood.
  • Allow for innovative land development where the normal development approach would otherwise be unnecessarily restrictive or contrary to other City goals such as walkability, preservation of open green space, and the provision of more diverse housing options.

Below is an example of a One-Family Cluster Development Plan compared to a typically required development plan:

Cluster Picture - Copy
For more information about the One-Family Cluster Development option, please see this informational packet

What is a Sustainable Development Project?
The Sustainable Development Checklist sets out the process and standards for qualifying as a Sustainable Design Project (SDP). A sustainable development project meets certain requirements that support sustainable design. By meeting the requirements of a sustainable development project, the developer is granted other concessions as an incentive to promote sustainability (see Section 12.01 of the City of Troy Zoning Ordinance).
What is a Conditional Rezoning?

An amendment to a zoning designation in which certain conditions, such as height restrictions, setbacks, density, lot size, and/or usage may change along with the notation designation. To view the City of Troy’s Zoning Map, click here.

What is a non-conforming use?
A non-conforming use is a use which lawfully occupied a building or land at the effective date of the zoning ordinance (or amendments to the zoning ordinance) that does not conform to the use regulations of the zoning district in which it is located (see Article 14 of the City of Troy Zoning Ordinance).

What is the difference between a Public Meeting and a Public Hearing?

A public meeting is one which is open to the public and members of the public are able to sit in on the proceedings, but may not talk. A public hearing is a public meeting during which members of the public are invited to voice their questions, comments, and concerns at a designated time.


Police Page
What number do I call to report a police or fire emergency?
What number do I call to report a police non-emergency?
What number do I call to report a fire non-emergency?
What is the curfew for juveniles in Troy?

The law allows a parent to set any curfew for their children that they deem appropriate as long as it also complies with the City Ordinance, Chapter 91, which sets the curfew for children under 12 years old between the hours of 10 p.m. and 6 a.m. and for children under 16 years old between the hours of 12 a.m. (midnight) and 6 a.m.

The penalty for a violation of the curfew ordinance is a misdemeanor which is petitioned to the Oakland County Circuit Court - Family Division.

The penalty for violation if a parental curfew (as well as other potentially-imposed rules) can range from parental discipline to prosecution as a status offender in the Oakland County Circuit Court - Family Division.

Is there anyone I can call for problems with my child?
The Troy Youth Assistance Program at 248.823.5095 or the Oakland County Juvenile Court Status Offender Program at 248.858.0191.

How do I purchase a Dog License?
Oakland County Dog Licenses can be purchased at the City of Troy Police Records Department or through Oakland County Animal Control.


Visit the Recreation faq page:



Refuse and Recycling Page
How do I dispose of branches, brush, etc.?
Branches (not exceeding 2 inches in diameter) are to be tied in bundles and may not exceed 3 feet in length or 40 pounds in weight. We suggest that no more than 5 bundles be set out each week for collection. We do not pick up tree stumps, dirt, sod, branches over 2 inches in diameter or shrubs.

How do I dispose of Household Hazardous Waste?
Paints, garden chemicals, automotive products, automotive batteries, oils, household cleaners, solvents, insulin syringes, and other hazardous materials can be disposed of at the SOCRRA facility at 995 Coolidge in Troy by appointment only. Visit Socrra.org to schedule an appointment.

Does the City provide brush chipping services?
No. To find a contractor, you can check the Yellow Pages under "Tree Services."

What time does the City start picking up refuse?
We start at 7am and work until the routes are completed.

On which legal holidays is refuse not picked up?
New Year's Day, Memorial Day, Independence Day, Labor Day, Thanksgiving Day, and Christmas Day. When a holiday occurs on a weekday, collection for the remaining days of that week will be one day late. Thursday collection will be made on Friday that week. Regular collection will begin the following Monday.

What size waste receptacle should I purchase at the store?
Waste receptacles may not exceed 35-gallon capacity. Non-conforming containers such as pails, cardboard boxes, metal drums, bushel baskets, etc. will be considered rubbish and disposed of along with their contents. Containers must have lids and handles. The only exception to this rule is if you choose to purchase a "Polycart" - a 50-gallon, wheeled trash can which can be emptied mechanically by the refuse collection trucks. The Polycart is only available from Tringali. The cost is $98 (picked up) or $108 (delivered to home). If you are interested, contact Tringali at 248.585.9120.

How heavy can my waste container be?
The combined weight of the container and contents may not exceed 60 pounds.

Will the City pick up large household items?
Furniture and household appliances are included in weekly refuse collection. There is a limit of 2 items per week. Place items at the curb with the rest of your refuse. Doors must be removed from refrigerators and freezers. If items cannot be put in the regular collection truck, they will be picked up within 48 hours by the refuse contractor. Any items weighing in excess of 250 pounds will not be collected.

How do I dispose of concrete, bricks or stones?
SOCRRA will take these items at the Troy Transfer Station on Coolidge Road for a disposal fee (broken to 1' x 1' pieces or smaller). Residents could also look in the yellow pages in order to find a concrete crushing facility.

Will the City pick up building debris?
No. Residents can call Tringali Sanitation at 248.585.9120 or other waste haulers for a price to have this material picked up. SOCRRA will also take this material at the Troy Transfer Station for a disposal fee. Residents should call SOCRRA in order to find what the fee would be. (248.288.5150)

Does the City collect compost (grass clippings/leaves) separate from the general refuse?
Yes. Compost should be placed in a 35-gallon regulation size container with a Compost decal or 30-gallon Brown paper bag designated for yard waste not to exceed 60 lbs. per container. Do not use plastic bags for grass clippings. Curbside collection of compost runs for 35 weeks (First Monday in April - Second week of December). Branches are compost. Bundle them and place with compost materials.

Is Backyard composting allowed in Troy?
Yes. Residents must follow City Ordinance requirements. The Compost Ordinance is found in Chapter 16 section 2.19 of the City Charter.
Does the City pick up all plastics?
Yes. We pick up all #1-7 plastics.

How do we place carpeting out for refuse collection?
Carpeting must be rolled and tied, not to exceed 3 feet in width and 60 pounds in weight.

How do I recycle cardboard?
Corrugated cardboard, paperboard, and boxboard needs to be flattened and/or cut and placed into recycling cart or bin.
Does the City recycle telephone books?
Yes. Simply place in your curbside recycling bin or drop off at the SOCRRA Recycling Center at 995 Coolidge.

Where do I get a recycling bin?
Call the Department of Public Works at 248.524.3392 or submit your request here.
Where do I get compost stickers?
Compost/yard waste decals are available at Troy City Hall, Community Center, Library and the Department of Public Works Office on Rochester Road.

Where can I dump garbage myself?
Residents can call SOCRRA at 248.288.5150 for their dumping fees or look in the yellow pages under landfills.


Traffic Engineering Page
Why are there NO PARKING signs on residential streets?
Parking is not allowed on the fire hydrant side of any street in Troy within a subdivision (as of May 10, 1965). Parking is not allowed within 15 feet of any fire hydrant on all City streets. In addition, there is no parking in two thirds of all cul-de-sacs. The reason for these restrictions is immediate access to fire hydrants and buildings in the event of a fire or other emergency, as well as for snow removal and garbage collection. Larger vehicles such as fire trucks, ambulances, snow plows, and garbage trucks require greater clearances to maneuver, especially in cul-de-sacs. Keeping these portions of streets clear of parked vehicles will provide more efficient delivery of City services and reduce the chances for damage to parked vehicles. Thanks for helping to make our City safe.

Can the cameras at the intersection see me?
No, the cameras detect a change in contrast in the area it is focused toward. It counts vehicles that pass under it and no video image is processed. The cameras do not have remote zoom or pan capabilities.

Who controls all the traffic signals in the City?
The Road Commission for Oakland County (RCOC) installs and maintains all the signals. However, the City Traffic Engineering Division monitors the operations continually and makes recommendations for better performance. Citizen input to the City also is followed up with the RCOC. The RCOC can be reached at (248) 858-7250

Can "SCATS" improve traffic flow under any conditions?
SCATS can only work effectively until traffic demand exceeds roadway capacity. Beyond that point, SCATS can only manage backups. No system can "manufacture" capacity where there is not enough. This typically happens 4 hours out of each workday, during the morning and afternoon peak hours.

Why has "SCATS" made little or no improvement during rush hours?
To a certain extent, this is true. When the roadways are operating above capacity, there is little improvement over the old system. The main difference is in the length of the rush hour. SCATS has shortened the rush hours by improving operations during the periods before and after the most congested periods.

Will "SCATS" change from red to green as soon as it detects me?
Unfortunately, this does not always happen. In order to provide fair service to all traffic using the intersection, the signal timing must be at a point where the change can be made before the light will change. Depending on the time of day, the wait for the green can be short or long. Except during rush hours, all of the waiting traffic will normally be allowed through the intersection when the green does come on.

Why doesn't the signal change green for me even though there is no traffic on the main street?
In order to provide coordinated flow on the main street, all SCATS signals must run the same cycle length. There are points in the cycle when the controller can leave the main street green and service the other traffic at the intersection. Also, if a minor approach does not use all of its allotted green time, the extra time is added to the main street green.

Will "SCATS" always give me all the green time I need to get through the intersection?
A traffic signal cycle is like a pie. If someone gets the whole pie, then no one else gets any. Also, the more slices of pie there are, the smaller each piece is. "SCATS" like all signal systems, cannot manufacture time. It can only manage the time that is available.

Does the camera spy on me (big brother is watching)?
The video that comes from the camera is converted to computer data in the Autoscope controller and the picture is lost forever. We do not capture any of the video before it is processed. Even if we did, we would only see the tops of vehicles, not the occupants or the license plates. Big brother is not watching.

Can the camera see me no matter how far back from the intersection I am?
This is not true. The camera looks down at an area behind the stop bar and cannot see beyond this area. SCATS knows how much green to give by counting the number of cars that go through during each green. However, the driver must pull up to the stop bar to be detected.

What is access management?

Access management is the proactive management of vehicular access points to land parcels adjacent to roadways, in the interest of public safety. Access management techniques include driveway spacing, median treatments, and roundabouts.


How to Become a Volunteer Firefighter for the City of Troy?
Requirements for Joining the Troy Fire Department as a Volunteer Firefighter

The Troy Fire Department is a volunteer fire department consisting of 6 stations. If you have the time and the desire to serve your community, please consider submitting a volunteer firefighter application. We may have an opening for you!

The requirements for submitting an application for volunteer membership within the Troy Fire Department include:

  • Live or work within three (3) miles of a Troy Fire Station*
  • Be at least 18 years of age and a high school graduate, or possess a GED equivalent
  • Possess a valid Michigan driver's license
  • Complete the on-line volunteer firefighter application form
  • Submit to a background check
  • Submit to one or more interviews
  • Submit to a medical examination
  • Submit to a physical agility test

Written permission is required from the employer if leaving work in order to respond to incidents. Availability varies by station.

Public Works

Public Works Page
What is the City's snow removal policy?

The City begins to salt and plow major roads as soon as snow starts to fall. Hills, curves, intersections and school entry roads are also a priority when there is any snowfall that causes slippery conditions. The City will begin plowing subdivisions once 4 inches of snow has fallen. This operation takes approximately 72 hours to complete after snow has stopped falling. Please remember to remove all cars from the street.

For more information about snowstorm activities or reporting a dangerous condition, contact the Public Works Department at 248.524.3392.

Why is snow plowed onto my driveway?

Unfortunately, the operator cannot control the amount of snow pushed into a resident's driveway. If at all possible, it is best not to shovel your driveway until after the plow has passed. This will allow the least amount of snow from sliding off of the blade onto your driveway.

Please do not shovel snow back into the street. It can create dangerous ice patches for all drivers.

What should I do about a damaged mailbox or lawn?
The City will repair all mailboxes and lawn damaged by the City's plowing operation. Please call 248.524.3392 to report the damage and the city will be out as quickly as possible to replace or repair your mailbox. Lawn repair will take place in spring as soon as sod or seed becomes available.

What can residents do to assist the plow crews?

Residents can do the following to help maintain clearer streets in winter:

  • Don't shovel/blow snow from driveways and sidewalks back onto streets because it creates dangerous ice patches.
  • Clear the lump of snow at the end of your driveway (but not back onto the street).
  • Don't park on the street after a snowstorm.
  • Keep fire hydrants in front of your property clear of snow and ice.
  • When driving, give salt trucks extra room.
  • Beware of approaching snowplows as snow can be thrown and may contain rocks and other road debris.
  • Allow for extra driving time in inclement weather.
  • Be a good neighbor and lend a hand to those in need.


How do I report potholes or needed road maintenance?

Pothole Reporting and Road Repair

City, State & County Roads

To report a pothole on State and County roads, please call the Road Commission for Oakland County at 248.858.4804. To report a pothole or street maintenance on a City road, please call 248.524.3392. If you experience damage to your vehicle, please contact your auto insurance carrier.

Gravel Roads

Gravel road maintenance takes place 4 times a year beginning in the spring and chloride is applied as needed for dust control throughout the season. Any additional questions can be directed to 248.524.3392.

How do I report a street sign that needs repair?
If you see a street sign down or damaged, please call 248.524.3392. Please make sure that you have the type of sign (stop sign, street name sign, etc.) and exact location including cross streets before you call.

Why is my water bill so high?
There are several reasons for a high water bill. During the summer months, watering new or existing grass or landscaping can cause your water bill to escalate. Seemingly small problems such as toilet or faucet leaks, a water powered sump pump, or a leaking humidifier can make a big impact on your water bill. You can check for leaks by looking for the small triangular leak indicator on the face of your water meter. If it is spinning when no water should be running, you have a leak. Another method of checking for leaks is to take a meter reading at night and another in the morning. If no water was used over night, the reading should remain the same.

Where do I pay my water bill?
Water bills can be paid at the City of Troy's Treasurer's Office located at 500 W. Big Beaver, Troy, MI 48084. NO payments will be accepted at the Public Works Facility on Rochester Rd.

Is automatic water bill payment available?

Customers can authorize the City of Troy to automatically withdraw water/sewer payments electronically from a customer's checking or savings account on the due date. Customers receive the quarterly bill in advance before the payment is deducted. No checks...no postage...no late payments...no hassles.

Automatic Bill Payment is free and easy to use.

How do I enroll in the Automatic Bill Payment program?
Complete steps 1-4 on the Automatic Bill Payment Form and return it to the City of Troy Treasurer's Office, 500 W. Big Beaver, Troy, MI 48084. For more information please see the Automatic Bill Payment FAQ sheet,  or call 248.524.3333.

How do I request a final water bill and transfer water service?

Water bills are a lien on the property. We do not change ownership unless a separate mailing address is submitted in writing. In order to transfer service, a request for a final water bill must be submitted in writing. It is the resident's responsibility to obtain a meter reading. The meter is typically located in the basement or another protected area such as a crawl space or utility room. The meter reading must be submitted in writing and include the following information:

  • Date of meter read
  • Name of person performing meter read
  • A contact phone number
  • Meter address
  • Actual meter read from left to right (6-digits)
  • Mail to address or the date you wish to pick up the bill

The Final Water Bill Request Form can be filled out online and is also located at the Treasurer's Office or at the Public Works Facility. This information can be mailed to the City of Troy Department of Public Works, 4693 Rochester Rd, Troy, MI, 48084 or faxed to 248.524.3520. No meter readings are accepted over the phone. Please allow two business days to produce a final bill. Call 248.524.3370 for more information.

You may pick up your final water bill at the Treasurer's Office (500 W. Big Beaver) Monday thru Friday 8:00am until 4:30pm.

For commercial meters, if you have a small standalone meter you should take the meter reading yourself using the steps above.  However if you have a large compound meter, or the meter is attached to a series of buildings (like in a strip mall), then a water division serviceman will have to take a final meter reading. Please call 248.524.3370 to schedule an appointment.

Can I have a separate meter for my lawn sprinkler system?
The City of Troy does not issue separate meters for lawn sprinklers. All accounts are charged water and sewer on the water going through the meter, so a separate meter is of no benefit to the resident. Also, a minimum water bill would be due on the meter even when the sprinkling system was not in use. Outdoor Water Metering