search icon

Code Enforcement


Sump Pump Discharges

Sump pump discharges can cause hazardous conditions if they are directed to roadways or sidewalks.  Please redirect sump pump discharges in a safe manner.  

Barking Dogs

Please keep dogs quiet.  Habitual or constant dog barking is prohibited.  Report concerns or questions to Troy Police, 248 524-3477.

Dogs running at large & pet cruelty
Report concerns or questions to Oakland County Animal Shelter and Pet Adoption 248 858-1090.

Keep sidewalks clear of brush
We get many complaints about brush interfering with the sidewalk.  Be sure to trim back branches and other plants from all sidewalks; up to 8 feet above the walkway.  The City does not perform this function.  Don't forget about the sidewalk behind your house!  

Construction noise
Noise from the construction of buildings or other developments is prohibited between 8pm and 7am, Monday through Saturday, and all of Sunday.  Report concerns or questions to Troy Police, 248 524-3477.    See the sidebar link for additional Construction information.

Abandoned Vehicles in the Street
Motor vehicles parked in the street for over 48 hours can be considered abandoned.  Unlicensed or junked vehicles in the street are prohibited.  Report concerns or questions to Troy Police, 248 524-3477.

Junked or Unlicensed Vehicles
Motor vehicles parked or stored outside on private property shall not be unlicensed or in a non-operating condition.

You may view the Code here

Trash, Recycling & Yard Waste
Trash, recycling, and yard waste should be placed at the curb no sooner than 5 PM on the preceding day.  Food-related waste should be kept in rodent-proof containers with tight fitting lids (no bags).  Collection starts at 7 am on your trash day. Empty containers shall be removed from the curb within 24 hours after trash pickup.  They can be stored anywhere on private property. 

More information can be found here

Buildings & Structures in disrepair
All buildings, fences, pools, and other structures must be maintained structurally sound and in good repair. Buildings shall not be open to the elements or persons.  Stagnant pool water is prohibited.

Commercial Vehicles in residential neighborhoods
In a one family-zoned areas, one commercial vehicle is allowed on private property if it is a pickup truck or a passenger/cargo style van. Other types of commercial vehicles, trucks and equipment are permitted on private property provided they are actively performing a service related to the property such as construction activity, delivery vehicles, etc.

You may view the City Code here
Commercial Vehicle parking on residential streets.   
Parking commercial vehicles on residential streets for over 1 hour is prohibited, UNLESS the vehicle is actively being loaded, unloaded, or servicing a residence on the street.  Report violations to Troy Police 248 524-3477.  

Recreational Vehicles including recreational trailers
In residentially zoned districts, recreational vehicles and trailers cannot be stored or parked on the street or vacant lots.  They can be stored anywhere on occupied private property for up to a 48 hour period. At all other times, recreational vehicles and equipment must be stored inside a completely enclosed building or located behind the front face of the house, and no closer than 3 feet from the side or rear property line. An exception applies to corner lots.  

You may view the City Code here

Garage Sale/Open House/Temporary Signs
Temporary signs are allowed on private property subject to certain limitations, which can be viewed here. Signs that are placed in the public right-of-way (City property) will be removed by the City. Please check the regulations before displaying your sign.

You may view the City Code here

Home Businesses
Home businesses (the City Code calls them Home Occupations) are allowed in One- and Two-Family residential districts subject to certain regulations.  Before starting any home business, we suggest you contact Code Enforcement to discuss your proposal.

Tall Grass & Weeds
Lawn grass and weeds must not exceed 8 inches height. Ornamental plants and grasses are exempt. Lawns and grasses located between private property lines and roads are the responsibility of the adjacent property owner. This includes areas between sidewalks and roads and between fences and roads. If a fence in the back yard separates the property from the road, the property owner should maintain grass on both sides of the fence, up to the edge of the road.

View the lawn and grass maintenance ordinance here

For more information contact planning@troymi.gov 

Snow Shoveling

Building occupants and property owners are responsible for clearing snow over 2 inches deep, and any ice from the public sidewalks adjacent to their property. Snow and ice should be cleared from the sidewalks within 24 hours following the end of the event which led to their accumulation. For single and two family homes where property is addressed to a non-major thoroughfare, side or rear yard sidewalks adjacent to a major thoroughfare do not have to be shoveled. 
The major thoroughfares are: Adams, Beach, Big Beaver, Coolidge, Crooks, Dequindre, Fourteen Mile, John R, Livernois, Long Lake, Maple, Northfield Parkway, Rochester, South Boulevard, Square Lake, Stephenson, and Wattles.

You may view the Sidewalk Code here
Sign Up