Yard waste placed in paper leaf bags or regulation sized trash cans is collected curbside, once a week from April to mid-December and is picked up on the same day as your trash and recycling. Leaves that are pushed and/or piled into the street are not allowed and will not be collected. During the winter months when curbside pick up is not in service, Troy residents can take up to 10 paper leaf bags per day to SOCRRA for free. SOCRRA is located at 995 Coolidge, between 14 & 15 Mile (across from Meijer).
Yard Waste Collection resumes Monday, April 1, 2019
Curbside Collected Yard Waste Items
- Grass clippings
- Leaves and twigs
- Branches under 2" in diameter & 3 feet in length
- Pine needles and cones
- Chestnuts and walnuts
- Apples, pumpkins, corn cobs and husks
- Small shrubs, shrub clippings and vines
- Spent flowers, garden plants, prunings and potting soil
Yard Waste Collection Guidelines
- Yard Waste collection starts the first Monday in April and runs to mid-December. It is collected weekly on your trash day and must be separate from trash and recycling. Place all items out at the curb before 7 am on your collection day.
- Yard waste shall be placed in a 35-gallon (maximum) container with a City of Troy Yard Waste sticker (available at City Hall, DPW or Library) or 30-gallon yard waste paper bags.
- Yard Waste in plastic bags are NEVER accepted.
- Containers and bags should not exceed 50 lbs and items must be small enough to fit into the container (under 3ft in length).
- Brush or branches shall be 2 inches in diameter or smaller, cut to under 3 feet in length, bundled and tied, and weigh less than 40 pounds each. Limit of 5 bundles per week.
- Yard waste cannot be picked up as trash. State Regulations (DEQ) mandate that yard waste cannot be sent to the landfill.
- Backyard composting must follow City Ordinance requirements.
Tree debris that should be chipped includes branches and sticks that are longer than 3 feet and thicker than 2 inches in diameter.
SOCRRA Compost Site
1741 School Road, Rochester Hills, MI 48307
(south of Avon Road, between Dequindre and John R.)
Monday thru Thursday 7 am – 5 pm
Saturday 8 am – 12 pm (MAY AND JUNE ONLY)