Troy offers curbside yard waste collection and does not allow the piling of leaves in the street. Leaves must be bagged for collection.
Yard waste collection ends the week of December 12th on your regular collection day. SOCRRA's drop-off site (995 Coolidge) will accept yard waste beginning Monday, December 19th. Residents may bring up to 10 bags per day. No appointment needed but proof of residency is required.
Yard Waste Guidelines
- Yard waste collection begins mid-April and runs through mid-December.
- Yard waste is collected one per week on the same day as refuse and recycling. It must be separated from trash. Place all items out before 7am on your collection day.
- Yard waste shall be placed in 35-gallon (maximum) containers with a City of Troy yard waste sticker (available for free at any City building) OR in a paper yard waste bags.
- Yard waste cannot be collected as trash or in plastic bags.
- Yard waste containers may not exceed 50 lbs (as per SOCRRA's contract) and items must be small enough to fit into the container (under 3 feet in length).
- Brush or branches shall be 2 inches in diameter or smaller and cut to less than 3 feet in length, bundled and tied.
- Backyard composting must follow City Ordinance requirements (Section 2.19).
Yard Waste Collected Curbside
- Grass clippings, leaves, twigs, pine needles, pine cones, chestnuts, and walnuts
- Branches under 2" inches diameter and 3' feet in length, bundled and tied
- Apples, pumpkins, corn hobs, and husks
- Small shrubs, shrub clippings, and vines
- Spent flowers, garden plants, prunings, and potting soil
- Tree debris that should be chipped includes branches and sticks that are longer than 3 feet in length and 2 inches in diameter. The City of Troy does not offer a chipping service. Please contact a private company for this service.
- Compost is available to Troy residents for free at the following locations:
SOCRRA Compost Site
1741 School Road, Rochester Hills, MI 48307
(south of Avon Road, between Dequindre and John R.)
Monday thru Thursday 7 am – 5 pm
Saturday 8 am – 12 pm (MAY AND JUNE ONLY
Department of Public Works
4693 Rochester Road
Self-serve as material is available. No commercial vehicles.