SOCRRA IS NOW OPEN!!
NEW Drop Off Hours - No Appointment Necessary
Monday to Friday: 9 am - 5 pm
Saturdays: 7 am - 1 pm
New to the City and need a Recycling Cart or Bin? Call 248.524.3399
Condo Communities that wish to be included in the new cart program please call 248.524.3399 to learn how.
Recycle more than what the 64-gallon cart can handle? NEW, larger 95-gallon recycling carts are available for a cost. Please contact the Recycling Supervisor at 248.524.3399 for more information.
You may keep your old recycling bin to use as storage around the house or you can drop it off at the SOCRRA recycling center at 995 Coolidge; please do not put the old bin in your new cart or on the curb to be recycled or disposed of.
Please note that plastic wrap, plastic bags of any kind, styrofoam and batteries will not be picked up curbside. You can take these items to the SOCRRA Recycling Center at 995 Coolidge.
For more information, you can visit SOCRRA's website!
Mixed Recycling Program
Recycling is a lot easier for Troy residents!
Because SOCRRA converted to a Mixed Recycling facility, ALL curbside recyclables can be mixed together in the new cart! No need to separate paper from the other recyclables - just throw it all in and wheel it to the curb. Recycling will now be as easy as taking out the trash. Learn more about the mixed recycling process and how it works by clicking the link and watching the video below.
Cart delivery is complete! Look for the information card that will be with your cart and remember - with Mixed Recycling, paper, cardboard, plastic, glass, and metal recyclables go together in one cart.
Using Your Recycling Cart
Paper, cartons, metal, glass, cardboard and plastic can all be combined in your cart. Please rinse out cartons, cans, and any other food containers before placing in your cart. All recycling must be placed in your cart, anything placed outside the cart would be considered trash.
Recycling paper & cardboard
- You can recycle paperback books, newspapers, junkmail and cardboard/paperboard (i.e. cereal, laundry soap boxes, ice cream containers, milk and juice boxes), just place all paper items in your bin or cart - no bundling, baging or tying required.
- Shredded paper should be placed in a paper bag, then placed inside cart.
- All cardboard must be placed in the cart or bin. Please flatten completely, reducing pieces to no larger than 3'x3' in size or or your recycling bin. Please remove and dispose of all packing material. Please note that cardboard jammed into the cart may get stuck, so please follow instructions to ensure that your cart can be fully emptied.
Recycling plastic, glass and metal containers
- Plastic, glass, and metal containers can also be placed loosely in the recycling bin/cart.
- Plastic containers/jugs/bottles of any # plastic can now be recycled. Rinse and place in bin.
- Empty metal aerosol cans
- Clear, Blue, Green & Brown Glass bottles/jars - rinse out and place in bin (no ceramics, mirrors, coffee cups, plates or window glass)
- Metal cans/metal lids/pie tins: clean, place loose metal lids inside metal cans and squeeze.
Recyclables that go to SOCRRA
Please do not place any of the following items in your cart or bin, they can not be recycled curbside and must be taken to the SOCRRA Recycling Center (995 Coolidge) to be recycled:
- Scrap metal
- Paints and chemicals
- Plastic bags
Batteries can no longer be collected in the large, 64-gallon recycling carts, please take them to SOCRRA to be disposed of. If you are still using a small recycling bin, you can place in batteries in a zip top bag and place in recycling bin. Note: batteries are not recycled, SOCRRA collects batteries curbside through the recycling program as a convenience to residents so they may be properly disposed of.
Styrofoam Recycling at SOCRRA
The following items can be dropped off at the SOCRRA recycling center located at 995 Coolidge. No appointment is necessary. You can not put these items in your cart or bin to be recycled curbside.
- Cups & takeout containers
- Egg cartons
- Rinsed meat trays
- Food trays/lunch trays. Must be rinsed off ~ NO food remnants.
- Molded packaging forms & shapes
- No Styrofoam Peanuts