For more information, visit SOCRRA's website!
New construction home or new to Troy and need a Recycling Cart or Bin?
Call the Troy DPW at 248.524.3392
What if I move?
Recycling Carts must be left for the new resident. Carts are tied to the property address.
Mixed Recycling Program
Recycling is a lot easier for Troy residents!
ALL curbside recyclables can be mixed together in your new 64-gallon recycling cart or the smaller recycling bin! No need to separate paper from the other recyclables - just throw it all in and place your container at the curb. Recycling will now be as easy as taking out the trash. Learn more about the mixed recycling process and how it works by clicking the link and watching the video below.
Using Your Recycling Cart
Paper, cartons, metal, glass, cardboard and plastic can all be combined in your cart. Please rinse out cartons, cans, and any other food containers before placing in your cart. All recycling must be placed in your cart, anything placed outside the cart would be considered trash.
Please note that plastic wrap, plastic bags of any kind, styrofoam and batteries are not picked up curbside and should not be placed in your cart or bin. These items can be taken to the SOCRRA Recycling Center at 995 Coolidge.
Mixed Recycling Guidelines
(Carts and Bins)
PAPER & CARDBOARD
- You can recycle paperback books, newspapers, junkmail and cardboard/paperboard (i.e. cereal, laundry soap boxes, ice cream containers, milk and juice boxes), just place all paper items in your bin or cart - no bundling, baging or tying required.
- Shredded paper should be placed in a clear plastic bag, then placed inside cart.
- All cardboard must be placed in the cart or bin. Please flatten completely, reducing pieces to no larger than 3'x3' in size or or your recycling bin. Please remove and dispose of all packing material. Please note that cardboard jammed into the cart may get stuck, so please follow instructions to ensure that your cart can be fully emptied.
PLASTIC CONTAINERS, GLASS BOTTLES and METAL CANS
- Wash all food and liquid residue from the container and let dry before placing in the cart or bin.
- Plastic, glass, and metal containers can also be placed loosely in the recycling bin/cart.
- Plastic containers/jugs/bottles of any # plastic can now be recycled. Rinse and place in bin.
- Empty metal aerosol cans
- All Clear, Blue, Green & Brown Glass bottles/jars are acceptable. Pyrex, china, ceramics, mirrors, coffee cups, plates or window glass are not recyclable.
- Metal cans/metal lids/pie tins: clean, place loose metal lids inside metal cans and squeeze.
Recyclables that go to SOCRRA
Please do not place any of the following items in your cart or bin, they can not be recycled curbside and must be taken to the SOCRRA Recycling Center (995 Coolidge) to be recycled:
- Scrap metal
- Paints and chemicals (Household Hazardous Waste Disposal)
- Plastic bags, zip-lock baggies (with zip section removed)
- Electronics (Electronics Recycling)
- Batteries (Household Hazardous Waste Disposal)
SOCRRA - 995 Coolidge Hwy, Troy, MI (between 14 Mile and Maple)
Drop Off Hours - No Appointment Necessary
Monday to Friday: 9 am - 5 pm
Saturdays: 7 am - 1 pm
Batteries can no longer be collected in the large, 64-gallon recycling carts, please take them to SOCRRA to be disposed of. If you are still using a small recycling bin, you can place in batteries in a zip top bag and place in recycling bin. Note: batteries are not recycled, SOCRRA collects batteries curbside through the recycling program as a convenience to residents so they may be properly disposed of.
Styrofoam Recycling at SOCRRA
The following items can be dropped off at the SOCRRA recycling center located at 995 Coolidge. No appointment is necessary. You can not put these items in your cart or bin to be recycled curbside.
- Cups & takeout containers
- Egg cartons
- Rinsed meat trays
- Food trays/lunch trays. Must be rinsed off ~ NO food remnants.
- Molded packaging forms & shapes
- No Styrofoam Peanuts