City of Troy

500 West Big Beaver
Troy, MI 48084
Ph: 248.524.3300

Troy Police Department Operations Division


On March 28, 2011, the Troy City Council approved the transfer of Animal Control Services from the Troy Police Department to Oakland County.

City of Troy Residents need to call Oakland County Animal Control for all of their animal control needs @ 248.391.4102. 


Oakland County Dog Licenses are now available to Troy residents at the public counter of the Troy Police Records Section. These are for one year only. Citizens wishing to obtain a three year license can contact Oakland County Animal Control in person, on their website, or via mail at:

Oakland County Animal Control Division
1700 Brown Road
Auburn Hills, MI 48326

Oakland County Animal Control Services will:

  • Respond to and investigate animal bites on any animal that may carry rabies
  • Respond 24/7 to calls involving dangerous animals
  • Sell, process, and record the licensing of dogs
  • Impound, care for, and attempt to reunite stray dogs
  • Conduct annual dog census
  • Investigate reports of animal cruelty
  • Shelter operations and enforcement
  • Enforce the Dangerous Dog Act (vicious animals)
  • Investigate and enforce multiple animal control law violations to include: wolf/dog breeding, ban on large carnivores, dog fighting, and suspected rabies cases
  • Capture sick and injured animals with the potential of rabies
  • Capture wild animals that are a public hazard to the community
  • Capture animals running at large, other than cats, but not after hours
  • Provide welfare checks on animals left in vehicles (cruelty)
  • Respond to assist police where animals are involved (arrests, drug raids, etc.)
  • Investigate and prosecute Dog Fighting Charges
  • Investigate suspected rabies in domestic and wild animals
  • Inspect and issue licenses to Kennels within Oakland County

Oakland County Animal Control Services will NOT respond to the following:

  • Barking dogs
  • Pick up stray and/or nuisance cats, provide cat impoundment, or return to owners
  • Noise/barking dog complaints
  • Number of dogs allowed in residence
  • Disturbance of birds and bird nest
  • Permits for domestic livestock or dangerous animals
  • Coyote complaints (DNR matter)
  • Geese problems (DNR matter)
  • Wildlife (unless is direct contact with human or pet (bites).
  • Pick up injured wildlife and transport to wildlife or sanctuary
  • Annually inspect kennel facilities, unless claim of cruelty
  • Pet shop inspections, unless cruelty
  • Tethering, unless claim of cruelty
  • Feeding waterfowl
  • Delivery of rabies specimens to Lansing for testing
  • Provide shelter quarantine of attack animals
  • Euthanasia of sick or ill-tempered animals for residents
  • All animal give-ups must be taken to the county facility (costs incurred by resident)

Complaints of barking dogs by City of Troy residents will be handled by our police officers. Oakland County Animal Control will not respond to barking dog issues; therefore, Communications will dispatch barking dog complaints and Troy police officers should proceed to handle these complaints under Chapter 88 Noise/Nuisance ordinance violations.

When citizens call about wildlife on their property (private) Troy Communications will advise them that they will need to call a private animal removal service and will not refer these calls to Oakland County Animal Control.

Dog Licenses may also be obtained at

Oakland County Animal Control Division, 1700 Brown Rd, Auburn Hills, MI 48326 248.391.4102

Hours of Operation:
Monday & Friday: 10 am to 5:45 pm
Tuesday, Wednesday & Thursday: 10 am to 4:45 pm


Please note: Michigan Law requires the vaccination and licensing of all dogs. 

Complaints of dead animals in the roadway shall be forwarded to our D.P.W. for removal and disposal. Troy Public Works - Streets Division will remove a dead animal in the street if it is causing a dangerous situation. If the dead animal is not creating this situation then the County will be contacted for dead animals on County roads and the City will handle all dead animals on City roads. Also, the County is responsible for picking up all dead dogs in attempts to reunite the body with the owner. The complaints can still be directed to DPW for all concerns and they will transfer information to the County as necessary.

Dead animals on private property will be the private property owner’s responsibility. The Troy Police Department will respond to emergency calls concerning dangerous animals, such as a dog attacking a person.