A ground fire shall be the minimum size for the intended purpose but not larger than 3 feet by 3 feet by 2 feet in dimension and shall be contained in a safe manner. It shall also meet the following requirements:
- Burn only seasoned, dried firewood or clean untreated lumber intended to minimize the generation of air contaminants (burning of yard waste is prohibited)
- Constantly attended by a minimum of one adult
- Maintain means to immediately suppress or minimize the spread of fire appropriate for the size of the fire (may be a garden hose, fire extinguisher, dirt/sand)
- Maintain 25 ft from structures or other combustibles (portable outdoor fire places should follow manufacturers instructions but a minimum of 15 ft)
- Pile height to remain under 3 feet
- Complaints regarding odor or smoke transmission may require law enforcement or the fire code official to require fire extinguishment (T.C.C. 307.1.1)
The City of Troy does not allow the discharge of Consumer Grade Fireworks on any day without a permit, except as follows:
- December 31 until 1 am on January 1.
- The Saturday and Sunday immediately preceding Memorial Day until 11:45 pm on each of those days.
- June 29 to July 4 until 11:45 pm on each of those days.
- July 5, if that date is a Friday or Saturday, until 11:45 pm
- The Saturday and Sunday immediately preceding Labor Day until 11:45 pm on each of those days.
Other rules pertaining to fireworks include:
- Fireworks shall not be ignited, discharged, or used on public property, school property, church property or the property of another person with expressed permission.
- Ignition, discharge, or use of fireworks shall not be done under the influence of alcohol or controlled substances.
Charcoal burners and other open-flame cooking devices shall not be operated on combustible balconies or within 10 feet (3048 mm) of combustible construction.
- One and two-family dwellings
- Where buildings, balconies, and decks are protected by an automatic sprinkler system.
- LP gas cooking devices having LP gas container with a water capacity not greater than 2½ pounds.