A Proud Tradition of Community Service.
The Troy Fire Department was organized in 1940 by a group of businessmen and concerned citizens in what was known as Big Beaver, a small "village" located at Big Beaver Road and Rochester Road. This group convinced the Township Board that a fire department was needed as well as a fire truck and other equipment (which were delivered in March, 1940). Prior to that, fire protection was provided by the Clawson Fire Department. The Fire Department had 19 founding members and operated out of a Ford dealership and garage on Rochester Road south of Big Beaver. Troy Township's first Fire Chief was John Lee Halsey and the township's first Police Chief was David Gratopp.
In the mid-1940's, as the population began to grow, a second firefighting group was authorized at Square Lake and Livernois Roads at a settlement known as "Troy Corners." Over the last 75+ years, the Troy Fire Department has grown to six fire stations, one training center, nearly 180 volunteer members, and 11 uniformed career staff members, continuing its proud tradition of community service.
In 1940, Troy's first official fire apparatus was a 1940 Ford American La France pumper. Today, the fire department fleet consists of eight Class 'A' 1500 GPM pumpers; three 100' mid-mount aerial platform ladder trucks; three 65' conventional rear-mount quint-style ladder trucks; one heavy rescue truck; one mobile air tender; one brush truck; one mobile command truck; one reserve Class 'A' pumper; one Fire Safety House trailer; fourteen staff sport utility vehicles; and several specialized response vehicles.
Pictured above is a restored replica of Troy's first fire truck.