History of the Troy Fire Department
A Proud Tradition of Community Service.
The Troy Fire Department was organized in 1940 by a group of businessmen and concerned citizens in what was known as Big Beaver, a small "village" located at Big Beaver Road and Rochester Road. This group convinced the Township Board that a fire department was needed as well as a fire truck and other equipment (which were delivered in March, 1940). Prior to that, fire protection was provided by the Clawson Fire Department. The Fire Department had 19 founding members and operated out of a Ford dealership and garage located on Rochester Road south of Big Beaver. Troy Township's first Fire Chief was John Lee Halsey and the township's first Police Chief was David Gratopp.
Troy's first purpose built fire station erected shortly after WW II
In the mid-1940's, as the population began to grow, a group of men in the northern area at Square Lake and Livernois Roads, a settlement known as "Troy Corners," formed a small auxiliary force which later became Station 2. Over the last 75+ years, the Troy Fire Department has grown to six fire stations, one training center, nearly 180 volunteer members, and 11 uniformed career staff members, continuing its proud tradition of community service.
Fire Station 2's first truck. March, 1947
In 1940, Troy's first official fire apparatus was a 1940 Ford American La France pumper. Today, the fire department fleet consists of eight Class 'A' 1500 GPM pumpers; three 100' mid-mount aerial platform ladder trucks; three 75' conventional rear-mount quint-style 2,000 GPM ladder trucks; one heavy rescue truck; one mobile air tender; one brush truck; one mobile command truck; one reserve Class 'A' pumper; one Fire Safety House trailer; fourteen staff sport utility vehicles; and several specialized response vehicles.
A restored replica of Troy's first official fire truck.