What are the Requirements for Joining the Troy Fire Department as a Volunteer Firefighter?
The only part of being a volunteer firefighter that's voluntary is the day you decide to join the fire department and the day you decide to quit. Everything in-between is your commitment to serve the Troy community.
The Troy Fire Department is seeking volunteer firefighters at one or more of its stations. If you have the time and the desire to serve your community, please consider submitting an application. We may have an opening for you!
The requirements for submitting an application for volunteer membership within the Troy Fire Department include:
- Live or work within three (3) miles of a Troy Fire Station*
- Be at least 18 years of age and a high school graduate, or possess a GED equivalent
- Possess a valid Michigan driver's license
- Complete the on-line volunteer firefighter application form
- Submit to a background check
- Submit to one or more interviews
- Submit to a medical examination
- Submit to a physical agility test
*Written permission is required from the employer if leaving work in order to respond to incidents. Availability varies by station.
The requirements for maintaining volunteer membership within the Troy Fire Department include:
- Complete the Firefighter I & II training academy within the probationary time period
- Attend a minimum of 15 hours of training quarterly to achieve 60 hours of training annually
- Respond to a minimum of 50% of incidents annually during predetermined hours of availability
- Abide by department policies at all times
- Note: Firefighting is a physically demanding job. Maintaining a healthy lifestyle and physical fitness is strongly encouraged.
How can I get more Information about the Troy Fire Department?
Contact the Administrative Offices at:Troy Fire Department
500 West Big Beaver
Troy, MI 48084
- E-mail the Fire Chief, and enter "Information Request" in the subject line
Please include a brief description of the information being requested along with your name, address, phone number, and email.