What are the Requirements for Joining the Troy Fire Department as a Volunteer Firefighter?
The only part of being a volunteer firefighter that's voluntary is the day you decide to join the fire department and the day you decide to quit. Everything in-between is your commitment to serve the citizens of Troy.
The requirements for submitting an application for volunteer membership within the Troy Fire Department include:
- Live or work within three (3) miles of a Troy Fire Station*
- Be at least 18 years old and a high school graduate, or possess a GED equivalent
- Possess a valid Michigan driver's license
- Complete the on-line volunteer firefighter application form
- Submit to a background check
- Submit to one or more oral interviews
- Submit to a medical examination
- Submit to a physical agility test
*Written permission is required from the employer if leaving work in order to respond to incidents
The requirements for maintaining volunteer membership within the Troy Fire Department include:
- Complete the Firefighter I & II training academy within the probationary period
- Attend a minimum of 15 hours of training quarterly to achieve 60 hours of training annually
- Respond to a minimum of 50% of incidents annually during predetermined hours of availability
- Abide by department policies at all times
- Note: Firefighting is a physically demanding job. Maintaining a healthy lifestyle and physical fitness is encouraged.
How can I get more Information about the Troy Fire Department?
Contact the Administrative Offices at:Troy Fire Department
500 West Big Beaver
Troy, MI 48084
- E-mail the secretary, Shirley Shepherd, and enter Information Request in the subject line
Please include a brief description of the information being requested along with your name, address, phone number, and email.