search icon

Sidewalk and Approach Permit

When is a Sidewalk and Approach permit required?
Anytime new sidewalk or approach is proposed or existing sidewalk or approach is being modified.

Why is a Sidewalk and Approach permit required?
To ensure that the work performed is done in accordance with the City of Troy’s Standard Specifications and all disturbed areas are restored to original or better condition.

Who should obtain a Sidewalk and Approach permit?
It is highly recommended that the person or contractor performing the work obtain the permit. A home owner can pull a permit for a contractor if they are willing to assume the risk and liability for the contractors work.

What is needed to obtain a Sidewalk and Approach permit?

  • Sketch of Improvement showing dimensions in feet (ft)
  • Area calculation in square feet (ft2)
  • Traffic plan (if necessary)
  • Proof of Insurance with City of Troy as an Additional Insured (Endorsement must be provided)
  • Permit fee based on the scope of work
  • Cash deposit (if required)
Where to obtain a Sidewalk and Approach permit?
The Engineering Department is utilizing submittal of Sidewalk and Approach Permits online through BS&A Online website, this allows for online application submittal, status inquiry, plan attachments, scheduling inspections, and payment of fees. An account must be created through:

Driveway Development Standards

Submit all necessary paperwork, insurances and plans by attaching them with the original permit application online. Fees will be calculated once we receive the application. If you have any questions please contact Engineering 248.524.3383 or come to the first floor of City Hall, 500 W. Big Beaver.

Sign Up