Code Enforcement Process
- Code Enforcement handles complaints related to potential violations of the City’s codes. Common complaints include rubbish, tall grass and weeds, junked cars on private property, and many other categories.
- Once your concern is brought to the attention of the City, an Inspector will conduct an inspection. During busier times of the year, it may take up to 72 hours days before the inspection can happen.
- If a violation is found, the property owner receives an official notice. The Inspector will automatically revisit the site on the correction date to verify compliance.
- If compliance does not happen, the Inspector automatically continues enforcement. If all reasonable enforcement efforts fail, a Court appearance Citation is issued. It typically takes around 30 days after the first inspection before this happens
- A complaint can be logged by clicking on “Report a Violation” at the bottom of this page, or by calling the Planning Department at 248 524-3364.
- YOU MUST PROVIDE AN ADDRESS AND A DESCRIPTION OF THE CONCERN WHEN SUBMITTING A COMPLAINT. Otherwise, we will not be able to log the complaint into our system and schedule an inspection.
- If you want a call back, please leave your phone number. Due to the sheer volume of complaints received, we are unable to reply with the results of every complaint received. We recommend that you wait at least 10 days before requesting a status update from the City.