Ever wonder why the Police Department has a canine unit, how your water is kept clean and safe for drinking, or how the Engineering Department determines which roads will be built each year? We'll tell you, during the City's Citizens Academy!
The annual Citizens Academy is a free 8-week series of classes designed to teach citizens about how their local government works for them. The Fall 2019 academy will be held on Wednesdays starting on September 18 and running through November 6 from 5:30 to 8:00 p.m. with a graduation ceremony at the City Council Meeting on Monday, November 25.
Want to apply for Citizens Academy? Fill out the application and turn it in via email, mail or fax.
- City Council | City Manager & Community Affairs | Clerk
- Fire Department & EMS
- Library | Parks & Recreation
- Historic Village | Nature Center
- Public Works Department | Engineering
- Finance | Finance, Treasurer, Assessing, Purchasing
- Planning | Economic Development | Building Department
- City Attorney | Police Department
- Graduation Ceremony at City Council Meeting
During the weekly sessions, participants learn about the responsibilities of City departments and the services they provide to the community. Presentations and "behind-the-scenes" facility tours give participants a better understanding of the role local government plays in the quality of life that residents of Troy enjoy.
Sessions and tours are held at various locations throughout the City, including the Police Station, Public Works Facility, Fire Stations, the Historic Village, the Nature Center, City Hall, and more!
How to Apply
Due to space limitations, Citizens Academy classes are limited in size. Preference is given to those living within the City of Troy.
To apply for the Citizens Academy program, you must:
- Be at least 18 years of age
- Be able to attend classroom-style sessions for 2.5 hours per week from September to November
- Have access to reliable personal transportation
- Have an interest in learning more about your local government!
To apply, please submit the following application to Drew Benson in the City Manager's Office via email at email@example.com, or via mail to Drew Benson, City Manager’s Office. 500 W. Big Beaver Rd, Troy 48084, or fax to 248.524.3499. If you have any questions or concerns, please call 248.524.3327.