Residential Permit Requirements
All submittals shall be directed to the City of Troy, Building Department, 500 W. Big Beaver Road, Troy, MI 48084-5285.
Applicants for Building Permits are obliged to become familiar with the pertinent sections of the current issue of Chapter 39 Zoning Ordinance and Chapter 79 – General Building Regulations of the Troy City Code, which outlines codes currently in effect and modifications to adopted codes.
- One Building Permit Application properly completed and signed. Please provide the name, email and phone number of a contact person.
- Plot Plan – drawn to scale, showing the size and locations of all new construction and existing structures on site, distance from lot lines and the established street grades; it shall be drawn in accordance with an accurate boundary line survey. In addition, for all uses as well as whenever required by the Soil Removal Ordinance, there shall be filed a drainage plan prepared by a registered civil engineer using NAVD 88 datum showing existing grades of drives, houses or other structures and land to a minimum of 50 feet beyond site property lines.
- 1 Grade Slip
- Set of Building Plans – consisting of the following:
- Floor Plans
- Cross Section
- Heat Plan with Specifications
- Drawings shall be submitted to a suitable scale. Drawings shall be properly dimensioned and shall indicate the specific use of all rooms and areas, as well as define all construction materials.
- 1 Michigan Energy Code Work Sheet showing compliance.
- If the applications are for models, we will assign it a "MASTER PLAN NUMBER". This will eliminate the need to submit building plans with any future applications of the same model.
Contact the Building Department for assistance with your online account.
All other building permits must be submitted online via email. They can be sent to email@example.com
Non-Residential Permit Requirements
All Submittals shall be directed to the City of Troy, Building Department, 500 W. Big Beaver Road, Troy, MI 48084-5285.
Applicants for Building Permits are obliged to become familiar with the pertinent sections of the current issue of Chapter 39- Zoning Ordinance and Chapter 79 - General building Regulations of the Troy City Code, which outlines codes currently in effect and modifications to adopted codes.
- Applicants shall make necessary submittals to the Planning Department as may be required under provisions of the Zoning Ordinance prior to submittals to the Building Department.
- Applicants shall become familiar with the City of Troy, Engineering Design Standards.
- 2 Copies of Site Engineering Drawings, and 1 PDF including engineers estimate, prepared in accordance with the City of Troy Engineering Design Standards for Site Improvement Plans. Submittal shall include Soil Erosion Application and Initial Review Fee (2% of Engineers Estimate of all site improvements, excluding landscaping).
- Once the necessary Planning Department Approvals have been obtained as required. You may submit for a building permit. If your project is permissible by right, you may submit directly for a building permit.
- 1 Electronic PDF copy of the Commercial Building Permit Application properly completed and signed.
- 1 Electronic PDF copy of Building Plans with a digital seal.
- 1 Electronic PDF copy of Specifications (When applicable or selected.).
- Building PDF File Plans shall be sized at 24" X 36" or greater.
- Drawing Shall be prepared and sealed by a Michigan registered architect. A Michigan registered professional engineer's seal shall be stamped on drawings for which the mechanical and electrical trades for a significant part of the work. Only one Design Professional can be called The Design Professional of record or Architect of record.
- Drawings shall include complete work to be performed by all trades.
- Architectural drawings shall consist of plans, elevations, sections, structural layout, details and schedules.
- Drawings shall be to a suitable scale. Drawings shall be properly dimensioned and shall indicate specific use of all rooms and areas as well as define all construction materials.
- Indicate Use Group and Type of Construction under which the Building has been designed. Show design numbers relating to tested materials, which are applicable.
- Indicate occupancy loads for which the building has been designed.
- Compliance with the State Barrier Free Design Rules, for parking, access to, into and throughout building is required.
- Calculations shall be submitted for each building and the building shall be designed to comply with the 2009 Michigan Energy Code and the current edition of ASHRAE Standard 90.1 2007. COMcheck is an accepted compliance document.
- Landscaping plans in accordance with the Zoning Ordinance are to be submitted for approval prior to a Certificate of Occupancy being issued.
- Sites that require Preliminary Site Plan approval - a site compliance inspection is required prior to a Certificate of Occupancy being issued.
- Signs and fences shown on the drawings, shall be submitted to the Building Department (Fence Permit Application), and Signs to be submitted to the Planning Department (Sign permit application). They shall not be included in such Building Permit.
- Separate Permits are required for fences and signs separate applications are required and the structures must be in compliance with Chapter 83 and 85, respectively, of the Troy Ordinance Code.
- Provide a statement of any special inspections per Chapter 17 of the Michigan Building Code.
- Provide signed special inspection and testing agreement (See Forms/Permit applications).
- Work documents must include a project narrative and a floor plan indicating the existing conditions versus final project floor plan.