Yard waste is collected weekly on the same day as your trash and recycling. Curbside collection starts on the first Monday in April and runs until mid-December. During the winter months (mid-December to March) Troy residents can take their paper leaf bags and branch bundles to SOCRRA for free.
Curbside Collected Yard Waste Items
- Grass clippings
- Leaves and twigs
- Branches under 2" in diameter & 3 feet in length
- Pine needles and cones
- Chestnuts and walnuts
- Apples, pumpkins, corn cobs and husks
- Small shrubs, shrub clippings and vines
- Spent flowers, garden plants, prunings and potting soil
Yard Waste Collection Guidelines
- Yard Waste is collected weekly on your trash day and must be separate from trash and recycling. Place all items out at the curb before 7 am on your collection day.
- Yard waste shall be placed in 35-gallon (maximum) container with a City of Troy Yard Waste sticker (available at City Hall, DPW or Library) or 30-gallon yard waste paper bags.
- Plastic bags are NEVER accepted.
- Containers and bags should not exceed 50 lbs and items must be small enough to fit into the container (under 3ft in length).
- Limit of 2 cubic yards per week or 15 yard waste bags.
- Brush or branches shall be 2 inches in diameter or smaller, under 3 feet in length, bundled and tied, and weigh less than 40 pounds each. Limit of 5 bundles per week.
- Yard waste cannot be picked up as trash. State Regulations (DEQ) mandate that yard waste cannot be sent to the landfill.
- Backyard composting must follow City Ordinance requirements.
Tree debris that should be chipped includes branches and sticks that are greater than 3 feet long and 2 inches in diameter.
SOCRRA Compost Site
1741 School Road, Rochester Hills, MI 48307 (south of Avon Road, between Dequindre and John R.)
Monday thru Thursday 7 am – 5 pm
Saturday 8 am – 12 pm (MAY AND JUNE ONLY)