Residential Permit Requirements
All submittals shall be directed to the City of Troy, Building Department, 500 W. Big Beaver Road, Troy, MI 48084-5285.
Applicants for Building Permits are obliged to become familiar with the pertinent sections of the current issue of Chapter 39 Zoning Ordinance and Chapter 79 – General Building Regulations of the Troy City Code, which outlines codes currently in effect and modifications to adopted codes.
- One Building Permit Application properly completed and signed. Please provide the name and phone number of a contact person.
- 4 Plot Plans – drawn to scale, showing the size and locations of all new construction and existing structures on site, distance from lot lines and the established street grades; it shall be drawn in accordance with an accurate boundary line survey. In addition, for all uses as well as whenever required by the Soil Removal Ordinance, there shall be filed a drainage plan prepared by a registered civil engineer using NAVD 88 datum showing existing grades of drives, houses or other structures and land to a minimum of 50 feet beyond site property lines.
- 1 Grade Slip
- 2 Sets of Building Plans – consisting of the following:
- Floor Plans
- Cross Section
- Heat Plan with Specifications
- Drawings shall be submitted to a suitable scale. Drawings shall be properly dimensioned and shall indicate the specific use of all rooms and areas, as well as define all construction materials.
- 1 Michigan Energy Code Work Sheet showing compliance.
- If the applications are for models, we will assign it a "MASTER PLAN NUMBER". This will eliminate the need to submit building plans with any future applications of the same model.
Non-Residential Permit Requirements
All Submittals shall be directed to the City of Troy, Building Department, 500 W. Big Beaver Road, Troy, MI 48084-5285.
Applicants for Building Permits are obliged to become familiar with the pertinent sections of the current issue of Chapter 39- Zoning Ordinance and Chapter 79 - General building Regulations of the Troy City Code, which outlines codes currently in effect and modifications to adopted codes.
- Applicants shall make necessary submittals to the Planning Department as may be required under provisions of the Zoning Ordinance.
- Applicants shall become familiar with the City of Troy, Engineering Design Standards.
- 1 Building Permit Application, properly completed and signed on the back.
- 5 Copies of Site Engineering Drawings, prepared in accordance with the City of Troy Engineering Design Standards for Site Improvement Plans. Submittal shall include Soil Erosion Plans.
- 4 Copies of Building Plans plus 1 Electronic Copy (PDF preferred)
- 2 Copies of Specifications
- Building Plans shall be submitted on sheets that do not exceed 24"x 36".
- Drawing Shall be prepared and sealed by a Michigan registered architect. A Michigan registered professional engineer's seal shall be stamped on drawings for which the mechanical and electrical trades for a significant part of the work.
- Drawings shall include complete work to be performed by all trades.
- Architectural drawings shall consist of plans, elevations, sections, structural layout, details and schedules.
- Drawings shall be to a suitable scale. Drawings shall be properly dimensioned and shall indicate specific use of all rooms and areas as well as define all construction materials.
- Indicate Use Group and Type of Construction under which the Building has been designed. Show design numbers relating to tested materials, which are applicable.
- Indicate occupancy loads for which the building has been designed.
- Compliance with the State Barrier Free Design Rules, for parking, access to, into and throughout building is required.
- Calculations shall be submitted for each building and the building shall be designed to comply with the 2009 Michigan Energy Code and the current edition of ASHRAE Standard 90.1 2007.
- Landscaping plans and cost estimates in accordance with the Landscaping Design Standards are to be submitted to the Parks and Recreation Department for approval prior to a Certificate of Occupancy being issued.
- Signs and fences shown on the drawings, submitted to the Building Department, shall not be included in such Building Permit.
- Separate Permits are required for fences and signs separate applications are required and the structures must be in compliance with Chapter 83 and 85, respectively, of the Troy Ordinance Code.
- Provide a statement of any special inspections per Chapter 17 of the Michigan Building Code.
- Provide signed special inspection and testing agreement (See Forms/Permit applications).